BREAST CANCER is so common nowadays. There are a thousands myths spread about breast cancer everywhere around us. SOME of the myths are below:-
1) UNDERWIRE BRAS CAUSE BREAST CANCER:-
This is based on old theory and is totally wrong.
Constriction of the breast, whether from an underwire bra or any kind of compression garment, does not increase or cause breast cancer risk.
2) ANTIPERSPIRANTS CAUSE BREAST CANCER:-
There is no valid point in this. There might be two reasons for this myth:
- Parabens:- This chemical is used in some of the antiperspirants and other products but not in all.This chemical may increase estrogen levels, which is linked to breast cancer risk. Most brands do no use this chemical any more. if you have doubts, check the ingredients in antiperspirants for:- methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, or benzylparaben.
2. Mammogram:-Some antiperspirants contain aluminum which shows false- positive results (mammogram).
One thing that is important for women to know is they shouldn’t wear antiperspirants.
3) RADIATION FROM SCREENING TESTS CAUSES CANCER:-
Mammograms do give a small amount of radiation but the radiation dose in mammogram is less than the normal chest X-ray and in low level.
Women should also know that ultrasounds and MRIs (magnetic resonance imaging), contains no radiation at all. there is a false myth that these also causes breast cancer.
4) ABORTION AND MISCARRIAGE INCREASES BREAST CANCER RISK:-
There is some evidence that having children before age 30 can reduce the risk of breast cancer . but there is no truth in this myth that abortion and miscarriage can cause breast cancer.
5) PLASTIC SURGERY CAUSES BREAST CANCER:-
There is no evidence that breast plastic surgery can increase breast cancer risk. Women who have breast reduction surgery may actually see a decrease in breast cancer risk by about 60%.
6) BREAST CANCER OCCURS ONLY IN OLDER WOMEN:-
This is true that increasing age is a risk factor for breast cancer . however, younger women can also get breast cancer at any age. Breast cancer is more agressive in younger women.
7) YOU HAVE TO HAVE FAMILY HISTORY TO GET BREAST CANCER:-
Family history is a well established risk factor for breast cancer. But its not necessary.
Less than 10% of breast cancer patients get the cancer because of family history.